with the rest of Occitania, this region suffered considerably during the various religious
wars. In the course of the troubled period of the Albigensian crusade (13th century), this last
outpost of the Cévennes was frequently a place of refuge for those fleeing from persecution.
Today it is not uncommon for rambler to chance upon some relic of that eventful past in the soil,
scarcely distinguishable from the surrounding rocks and vegetation.
Only a few ruins remain as testimony to the importance of the fortress that was once the
Château de Montredon, seat in the Middle Ages of a barony owing fealty to the Counts of
Toulouse and later to the Viscounts of Lautrec and to which also belonged the various fiefs
of Laroque, Berlan and Arifat.
The church of Notre-Dame de Ruffis was erected in the fourteenth century but the bell-tower
originally formed part of a much earlier castle (possibly twelfth century). The Château de
Castelfranc was, during the reign of Henri IV (17th century) the home of Guillaume le Nautonnier,
the celebrated geographer and astronomer to the King. Here he had constructed the first ever
observatory in France in 1609 which can still be seen today.
125 km of signed footpaths for ramblers (duration and degree of difficulty vary).
DINITIATIVE, La Halle, Grandrue, 81360 MONTREDON,
Telephone 05 63 75 14 18